The provision of legal services is perhaps the most important of all the FMPA’s services on behalf of our members. Working as we do in an exceptional environment requires exceptional representation – one with specific knowledge and expertise of the industry. The precarious nature of employment inherent in the game means that having the very best legal support in place is not only essential but very likely a necessity.
How can we help?
- Union support and representation for FULL Members* in the event of disciplinary and work-related issues. READ MORE
- Contract evaluation and advice. This is a free service conducted by our Lawyers on behalf of members and ensures you have a robust and appropriate contract in place.
- Exit Package. Looking after our members is a priority for the FMPA. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
- Clinical issues – a member who has the need to discuss a clinical issue within their discipline is able to access our team of expert practitioners in order to discuss an issue or simply seek guidance and advice, please contact the FMPA Office.
- Conditional legal services: The full spectrum of legal advice and services are available via our lawyers Knights 1759 who can be contacted via the FMPA office.
*Full membership only. Minimum 3 months membership applies
The FMPA are proud to partner with Enigma Legal.
Enigma Legal provides legal services and advice to managers, coaches and professionals working within the sports industry, its unique structure utilises a panel of expert barristers all with extensive experience of the sports industry, most notably their work with the League Managers Association.
The Enigma Legal lawyers are tired, tested and trusted to work in a flexible, agile and responsive way demonstrating their understanding of the unique demands of the sports industry. A creative and pragmatic approach will ensure that Enigma Legal offers real value to the FMPA Membership.
Martin specialises in employment law and has significant experience working in sport having worked with the LMA for over 20 years. As part of the LMA Legal Team Martin supports members with their contractual negotiations, employment disputes and terminations, including advising on settlement agreements.
Martin sits on the Board of the Football Medicine and Performance Association (FMPA) and is a trustee of the rugby mental health charity, Looseheadz.
“A solid all round performer who’s always willing to go the extra mile.”
“A trusted LMA Legal Partner for over 20 years. He’s one the team.”
John Mehrzad QC
- Year of Call:2005
- Year of Silk:2020
- Chambers:Littleton Chambers, London
John is an employment and contract law specialist with extensive experience working within sport. His sports law practice focuses on financial disputes, including claims between clubs, managers, players and intermediaries/agents and regulatory issues, including disciplinaries, equalities and discrimination and doping allegations.
As well as representing members in arbitration proceedings John is also regularly appointed as an arbitrator in FA Rule K and EFL proceedings.
John also speaks and reads working French.
– Regulatory and Disciplinary
– Member of The FA Chairman’s anti-discrimination
panel of independent chairman
– Member of Sports Resolutions advocates panel
– Member of Legal Panel at the Court of Arbitration
John Mehrzad QC is independent, practising QC at Littleton Chambers https://littletonchambers.com/people/john-mehrzad/
“Extremely personable, quick to respond and, as well as an employment law specialist, he is a very good sports law all-rounder.”
“Extremely user-friendly and spectacularly good.”
“Exceptional and a true heavyweight in his field.”
“If you want to win – you want him on your side before the opposition snaps him up.”
- Year of Call:2017 (Solicitor: 2006)
- Chambers:4 New Square
Kendrah has a broad practice that covers commercial litigation and arbitration, civil fraud and sports law. She is regularly instructed on complex commercial litigation and has been instructed on one of the biggest fraud cases in the Commercial Court. Kendrah has extensive experience of commercial disputes and disciplinary matters in the sports sector. She is frequently instructed in Rule K (and similar) arbitrations and to act on misconduct charges, particularly in the fields of corruption, match-fixing and bringing the sport into disrepute. Kendrah is an accredited mediator, sits as an arbitrator and can work in French and Spanish.
– Commercial Litigation
– Regulatory and Disciplinary
– Panel member for the London Chamber of Arbitration and Mediation
– Panel member for Sports Resolutions (Legal Arbitrator and Mediator)
– CEDR accredited mediator
– Member of COMBAR
Kendrah is described as a “highly intelligent lawyer”, “sensational” and “a brilliant advocate, who is able to drill into the key points with ease”.
“She has a really good knowledge of sports and is punchy and to the point.”
“Very responsive, succinct and commercial in her approach, she is an excellent pair of hands.”
“Kendrah understands sports law issues with ease and grasps the fundamentals quickly. She’s always a pleasure to work with.”
- Year of Call:1994
- Chambers:St Johns Buildings
Annette is a specialist Employment Law barrister and former Head of the Employment Group. The 2014 Chambers & Partners directory described her as “top quality” and a previous edition described her as being “one of the best employment law practitioners in Manchester”. Annette appears regularly at the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal and often advises, acts and mediates in cases with a commercial element. These cases generally involve restrictive covenants and clients range from SMEs to high-net-worth individuals. Her background in personal injury and negligence cases allows her to maximise or minimise remedies in discrimination and occupational stress claims.
– Equality & Human Rights Commission (EHRC) (and prior thereto Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) panel of barristers 2003-2015.
– Head of Employment Group 2005 -2009, 2012-2014
– Accredited for Direct Public Access Instructions
“She’s user friendly for solicitors and clients, has the perfect manner about her, knows what she’s going to do and goes about things in a measured methodical way”
“She is also instructed in cases of discrimination and whistleblowing”
Annette is “Hard working, pragmatic, bright and a completer!”
I am an English and Irish qualified solicitor and an expert in professional discipline & healthcare regulatory law. The main focus of my work is defending professionals at fitness to practise proceedings before their regulatory bodies, particularly doctors before the General Medical Council/Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service, paramedics before the Health & Care Professions Council and teachers before the Teaching Regulation Agency.